[ Link to PDF of what I’m looking for here: Johanna Leech residency write up ]
International visual artist Johanna Leech needs your help exploring Charlottesville…
Johanna is looking to meet with people who have collections, anything from thimbles to foxes. At the same time she wishes to visit places that hold unique treasures and unusual collections.
She is interested in why people place value in particular things and not others, how people ‘curate’ their own collections, why kitsch things or places draw us in- whether you love or hate them. The documented collections she captures will be held in her on-going ‘Mini Museum’ project website.
She would like to hear about:
- Historic stories and places (the more unusual the better) eg: The huge beacon that used to illuminate the Monticello from the roof of the Monticello Hotel in 1927.
- Unbelievable/unusual stories
- Interesting facts/happenings
She’s also interested in seeing/collecting/photographing:
- Kitsch (diners, paraphernalia, trinkets, souvenirs)
- Landmarks / Places – eg: Spudnuts, Foamhenge at Natural Bridge, Harry the fiberglass hotdog at Gibson’s on (703 Hinton Avenue).
- Photographs you may have of tacky places, like ‘Road Side America’/ large attractions.
She wishes to document these collections / places of interest, put them on a platform/ give them exposure/ use them to influence her work and be part of her blog and upcoming exhibition. Johanna hopes that by gathering the stories and creating photographs and drawings she can capture an unusual but fun outsider’s perspective of Charlottesville.
Her exhibition will showcase her work created during the residency, which opens Friday November 1st at 7pm at The Bridge PAI, 209 Monticello Rd. Charlottesville, VA 22902.
Please contact her if you have something to share or ideas to pass on. Johanna has hours at The Bridge PAI every Monday from 12-6pm and Thursday 4-6pm.
Contact Details: Tel: 434-270-2931
Residency Blog: johannaleech.wordpress.com