I have moved to New York State for the second half of my residency. My hosts are the fabulous CHRCH Project Space… click on their logo below to visit their website.
What am I looking for? More for my Mini Museum project…
Something to Share?
International visual artist Johanna Leech needs your help exploring Ulster County/Hudson Valley…
Johanna is looking to meet with people who have collections, anything from thimbles to foxes. At the same time she wishes to visit places that hold unique treasures and unusual collections.
She is interested in why people place value in particular things and not others, how people ‘curate’ their own collections, why kitsch things or places draw us in- whether you love or hate them. The documented collections she captures will be held in her on-going ‘Mini Museum’ project.
She would like to hear about:
* Historic stories and places (the more unusual the better) eg: Mohonk Mountain House, IBM
* Unbelievable/unusual stories
* Interesting facts/happenings eg: Locally shot Film ‘The Stuff’
She’s also interested in seeing/collecting/photographing:
* Kitsch (diners, paraphernalia, trinkets, souvenirs)
* Landmarks / Places – eg: Burnt-down Rainbow Diner, The World’s Largest Garden Gnome
* Photographs you may have of tacky places, like ‘Road Side America’/ large attractions.
She wishes to document these collections / places of interest, put them on a platform/ give them exposure/ use them to influence her work and be part of her blog and upcoming exhibition. Johanna hopes that by gathering the stories and creating photographs and drawings she can capture an unusual but fun outsider’s perspective of New York State.
Her exhibition will showcase her work created during the residency, which opens:
Saturday November 23rd at CHRCH Project Space, 167 Cottekill Rd, Cottekill, NY 12419
Please contact her if you have something to share or ideas to pass on.
Contact Details: Tel: 434-270-2931
firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred contact method)
Residency Blog: johannaleech.wordpress.com